Sunday, June 2, 2013

Financial Foundations

It's been a while since I've last blogged.   Coming home to Provo has been great, there just aren't any amazing places to talk about, and all of my experiences no longer seem to be unique.  Let me list the coolest things I've done so far. In order.


1. Started work at Tucanos



Tucanos is a pretty cool place.  It's a semi-upscale restaurant with a Brazilian rodizio-style grill where servers bring meats out on skewers.  I get to wear a blue shirt and a name tag with a little toucan on it.  But really the best part is all of the people that come in.  I get to catch up with friends, meet new groups, and run around like the day is going to end all night.  People ask me to take a picture all the time and then try to give me instructions on how to take pictures.  And I just want to be like, "pshh please.  I'm semi-pro at this."  Isn't quite the same as taking a photo in front of the Dome of the Rock or the Garden Tomb, but what is important is that those are memorable moments for those people.  

2.  Commiserate with all my Jeru friends

Lets be honest.  This is really number one.  Everyone understands that Jerusalem is cool, but nobody but Jerusalemites can understand how cool.  Its kind of like a mission. You just have to do it to know why it is the best thing ever.  We keep up on stuff by having dinner, posting pictures, talking about life, and partying in general.  Don't ask us what we thought about our experience unless you have time to listen to the whole book on tape.  If you don't want to hear the whole version, we'll give you the summed-up version:  Best. Thing. Ever.  


3.  Working on Finances

So maybe finances aren't the coolest thing in the world, but finances may be one of the most important.  Investing is the second most important sub principle under decision-making; discernment is the first.  Investing as a broad term is synonymous with development of capital, whether it be financial capital, human capital, material capital, or brand equity.  In layman's terms, investing in a relationship is similar to investing in a business.  Although the inputs and the outputs are different, the principle is the same.  What comes out is worth more than what goes in.  The development of a relationship is definitely worth the time invested.  The return on saving in an IRA provides an investor with more money as time goes on.  

The underlying principle with investment is the idea that time changes the value of past actions.  Some changes are positive, other changes aren't so successful.  Using Jerusalem as a good example, I put in 4 months of my life and came out with 80 friends and some really cool experiences.  Definitely worth my time.  A bad example is an investment I made before going to Jerusalem.  I put $3000 towards starting a business with one of my old companions on the mission.  Not only did I not make any money, I haven't seen a cent of the $3000.  Bad investment.  

One of the problems with investment is there is so much to do with the time we have to invest.  We can invest it in a relationship, school, work, or other forms of entertainment.  Some forms of investment have tangible retributions while other forms of investment are of inherent worth. Going to Jerusalem was great for making friends, but it broke the bank.  This Summer is going to be great for me financially, and hopefully I can balance that out with my social life.   

No comments:

Post a Comment