Thursday, February 14, 2013

Remember, Remember to move on

To remember, or not to remember.  The moments most tragic in life are the most memorable.  As a nice hueristic, or shortcut, the human brain vividly records life's emotional events.  Scientists would say that its an adaptive advantage developed by the cavemen, but how billions of unliving atoms could form together to make a human with heuristics without divine intervention is beyond me.  Whatever the case, I think we are all grateful for heuristics even though every once in a while they are undesirable.  Like after a loved one dies.  Or after a car crash.  Especially after a car crash.  Cause then pick up lines consist of: "you're like a car crash cause I just can't look away."

My roomate Sawyer. Makes for a pretty good February 14th
Valentine's day is one of those days that is memorable.  I don't know if its the emotions or lack thereof that makes it such a reminiscent day, but I don't think I'll be forgetting this year any time soon.


Also, a memorable day was Monday when we went to Hezekiah's tunnel.  I was completely soaked when I got to the end.

The Silwan village by the City of David had this really cool thing mural on a wall.
Of Course I got a picture.  Mumford and Sons has a great album.  It was so good actually that they won the Grammy for best album.  Their album is called Babel, which reminds me of Babylon every time I hear it, which obviously reminds me of Jerusalem, which reminds me of waiting, and that always leads me to thinking about the other Mumford and Sons song called I will wait for you.  Almost seems like they write specifically for Mormons at the Jerusalem Center.


God wants us to remember so that we  dont make the same mistakes again, and that we continue to make correct choices.  We tend to forget happy memories quicker than sad, scary, angry, and any other negative memory.  Fear is a greater motivator than happiness and I think its because happiness requires work.  Fear, anger, and sadness are passive or reactionary emotions instead of active emotions that we seek to create ourselves.  Moral of the story? Stories are good.  Unless they are bad.  Bad stories are easier to forget, but harder to disconnect from emotionally.  So keep a book of good memories.  And don't have bad stories.  

No comments:

Post a Comment